Patient Unit Coordinator Full Time Days AdventHealth Tampa
Location Address:3100 East Fletcher Avenue Tampa, Florida 33613
Top Reasons to Work at AdventHealth Tampa
AdventHealth Pepin Heart Institute, known across the country for its advances in cardiovascular disease prevention, diagnosis, treatment and research.
Surgical Pioneers – the first in Tampa with the latest robotics in spine surgery
Building a brand new, six story surgical and patient care tower which will ensure state of the art medical and surgical car for generations to come
Awarded the Get With The Guidelines – Stroke GOLD Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association and have been recognized as a recipient of their Target: Stroke Honor Roll for our expertise in stroke care. We have also received certification by The Joint Commission in collaboration with the American Stroke Association as a Primary Stroke Center.
Full Time Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization’s Performance Excellence Program.
• Communicates with courtesy and expediency when interacting with internal or external customers—in person or on the telephone.
• Demonstrates respect for co-workers and develops positive working relationships with other departments.
• Incorporates Caring Model behaviors and culturally competent care into daily practice.
• Demonstrates organizational commitment standards and values.
• Reviews all patient’s EMR to ensure all appropriate power plans and Quality Measure Consoles have been initiated. Will communicate to appropriate RN for any that need further review.
• Will utilize the PAL to monitor for new orders throughout the shift as appropriate.
• Will follow-up on physician order consults-ensure that the physician’s office has been notified, verifies that the consultant has seen the patient. Communicates in a timely manner with the appropriate RN as needed.
• Will assist the physicians with Order Entry questions/issues, acting as the first line of support.
• Will manage the paper order process during and after computer down time:
o Ensures all order requisitions and paper order forms are available for physicians and staff.
o Transcribes written orders onto the appropriate requisitions.
o Faxes medication order to the pharmacy.
o At the completion of down time, enter non-medication orders into the computer system as appropriate.
• Acquires records for Skilled Nursing Facility and other acute and sub-acute patient transfers as appropriate.
• Maintains patient boards.
• Greets new patients and families and notifies RN and techs as new admissions arrive.
• Performs timekeeping responsibilities for unit as assigned.
• Adheres to organizational standards for dress and professional appearance.
• Demonstrates collaboration and teamwork in managing patient flow, i.e., communicates with bed placement and nursing supervisors for admission transfers and discharges.
• Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost and impact on practice when ordering supplies and complies with decisions made for staffing adjustments (i.e. floating).
• Performs unit tasks supportive to patient care and operations of the department as assigned or requested.
• Maintains data collection, printing and posting monthly outcome reports.
• Performs unit errands such as pick up/delivery to Pharmacy, Lab, Health Information Management and returns to the unit promptly when errand completed.
• Prioritizes responsibilities and utilizes time effectively to accomplish duties in necessary timeframe.
• Assigns Spectralink phones to the nursing staff and assures that each person signs for the phone at each shift change.
• Communicates Spectralink assignments to Cardiac/Tele unit.
• Performs duties associated with the call light system duties as appropriate:
o Assign staff to patient in the system.
o Program staff to their locator badges for permanent or temporary badges.
o Retrieves locator badges at change of shift and reassigns to on-coming shift.
• Keeps nurse informed when leaving and upon returning to unit.
• May ensure the infection control signage, is consistent with patient’s isolation needs and orders.
• Communicates clear, accurate information and/or requests obtained from patients, visitors, hospital personnel, and physicians to the appropriate staff and/or hospital department.
• Identifies emergency and /or urgent situations and notifies appropriate staff member and/or responds immediately to identified emergencies from nursing staff.
• Provides general assistance to patients, visitors, hospital staff members and physicians by delivering mail, gifts, and/or assisting with any other general comfort requests.
• Assembles patient medical charts upon admission or arrival to unit and maintains and/or routes patient medical record in accordance to hospital and unit policy.
• Maintains current information in unit logbooks as assigned.
• Communicates appropriate patient information to other hospital departments, staff, and physicians.
• Prepares unit specific reports and/or presentations as requested or assigned by Director, Nurse Manager, or Team Leader.
• Compiles statistics as requested or assigned by Director, Nurse Manager, or Team Leader.
• Assists the physician and other staff with data retrieval.
• May take minutes at department meetings, provide photocopy/facsimile support, filing or distributing mail.
• May act as preceptor for new unit staff members providing clear instructions on administrative tasks/duties required on unit.
• Assess usage of stock supplies and orders stock supplies weekly/as needed to maintain inventory.
• Contacts other hospital departments to obtain supplies, equipment and services for unit management and patient care as needed.
• Ensures safe and effective shift handoff.
• Completes all mandatory educational requirements, Attends hospital wide Patient Unit Coordinator meetings, attends 75% of unit staff meetings and reviews all meeting minutes if meeting is not attended.
What You Will Need:
• Prior related work experience in a healthcare environment that provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
o Working knowledge of and ability to use personal computer and perform data entry.
o Working knowledge of medical terminology.
o Ability to quickly learn and successfully complete a competency skill check off list within 90 days of employment.
o Ability to follow written and verbal instructions effectively.
o Ability and willingness to work a flexible workweek including weekends, nights and overtime as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• High School education or equivalent.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
• Valid American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
• HUC Certification
Performs clerical and receptionist duties; patient and family rounding as “Goodwill Ambassador”, computers and work station on wheels (WOWs) equipment and supply checks. Responsible for the inventory and ordering of supplies, equipment and services needed to support the efficient operation of the assigned nursing unit and patient care delivery
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.